The V G.Gershwin International Piano Competition Volunteer Opportunities
June and November, 2022
June and November, 2022
- Working hand-in-hand with talented musicians-participants from around the globe.
- Interracting with jury members many of who are world-famous musicians.
- Obtaining free family tickets to all rounds of the competition.
- Obtaining free family tickets to Masterclasses, held during the competition.
- Obtaining discounted tickets to Gershwin Concert Series 2021-2022.
- Complimentary DVD or Download of all Rounds of the V Gershwin Competition.
- Participation in the Gershwin Competition Lottery to win exclusive Golden DVD collection of all Gershwin Competitions editions 2013-2021.
- Inclusion of Volunteer names to the Gershwin Competition Website, and the competition programs and booklets.
There are several volunteer opportunities that can be found at the Competition:
- Private room with semi-private bathroom
- If hosting a piano contestant, the host home would have a piano for competitor to practice
- Prepare breakfast for a competitor (optional)
In order to offer a warm hospitality and the great New York experience for our competitors, we are looking for people who are willing to host foreign competitors in their homes and help care for them for the period of their competition stay.
Volunteer to offer a homestay for a competitor
- Ushering for and audience members
- Help provide food for Jury Members, Competitors, or whatever else might be needed
- Participate in organizing receptions and events at competition time as well as throughout the year
We need help with various tasks at the competition venues and around town during the competition period in order to help things run smoothly.
- Ability to host events that can accommodate 40–100 people
- Provide/donate light refreshments and drinks for the fundraising events
- Provide a piano and tuning for the fundraising events
We are constantly fundraising so that we can accomplish all our goals for the competition, including raising the prize money and possibly increasing it in the future. Hosting a private concert in your home is a great way to give to the competition.
Volunteers to host fundraising events
- Transport jury members, competitors, & official guests to & from New York's JFK Airport during the Competition. Emphasis on attention to detail, scheduling, and desire to welcome international & U.S. guests to the Gershwin Competition.
- Assist in transporting or accompanying jury members & official guests to & from hotels, host families, competition venues, and various events during the Competition.
Airport & In-Town Transportation
- Greet competitors and Jury Members at New York Airports (working in a liaison with competition drivers).
- Hand-in and explain individual schedules.
- Arrange for orientation prior to the start of the Competition.
- Work at the Gershwin Competition Information office to greet competitors, jurors, local & international guests at the Competition Venues.
- Share in formation on the Competition, local restaurants, attractions, & other interests. (Information booklet will be provided for the reference)
Gershwin Competition Information Center
- Work with Gershwin Competition Advisory Board & Artistic Director.
- Assist with communication efforts; participate in committee meetings; & help maintain Competition volunteer records.
- Assist with volunteers to provide refreshments for volunteers & staff during Competition.
- Lisiaon Volunteer manager needs to be a self‐starter with communication & organizational skills.
- Duties begin in May 2022 a few times per week. Completed by end of the Competition in November, 2022.
- Community service hours, Gershwin Golden DVD & possibly college credit will be awarded.
Liaison to Gershwin Competition Volunteer Manager
- Assist volunteer manager and staff in all areas of the Competition including lead‐up, load‐in, production, events, and load‐out.
Assistant to Volunteer Manager
- Provide piano accompaniment for competition contestants during their performance at the competition.
- Provide piano accompaniment at rehearsals prior to the competition rounds.
- Obtain and study accompaniment parts at least 2 weeks prior to the start of the Gershwin Competition.
Competition Accompanist - strings and voice only
We will contact you via email within a few days.
Thank you for your time and interest.